Adding link and icon in header

Support for PhpBB3. Post here to get help with any phpBB3 related issue here
There is no support here! Only Read Access!
Forum rules
In order the get any support, you will have to do following:
1. Use a describing title!
2. Describe your problem and what happened when the problem occured
3. Tell us what version of phpBB3 you are currently using.
Else your topic may be ignored or locked!
hkkla
BBCoder I
BBCoder I

Adding link and icon in header

Post by hkkla »

I have installed phpfreechat inside my phpbb-directory. I added my forums header and footer.
The forum has the icon for Log out, Members and FAQ just below the search-square, i would like to have an icon and link to my chat there also.

Is this something that is easily done? I have looked how other chats that put icon and link there but i dont really understand how my idea is done.

I´m running phpbb 3.0.7
hkkla
BBCoder I
BBCoder I

Re: Adding link and icon in header

Post by hkkla »

I think i found something here.... http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/adding- ... ur-header/

I just need to modify it for my purpose, perhaps you guys can lead me right...

First line to add, in functions.php says

'U_NAME' => append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}name.$phpEx"),
or

'U_NAME' => 'http://www.name.of.website.com/index.$phpEx',

First of all, 'U_NAME', the NAME-part could be CHAT? (U_CHAT)?
Second of all, the path to my chat is in phpbb-root /phpfreechat/index.php should i use the second of thoose above?

next part, the icon. They call it icon-name just as an example? If my icons name is chat-icon the i modify the line according to that?

next part, same as above?

and next the same?

When it comes to the overall_header-part i modyfiy the name of icon and 'U_NAME'?

And last, the language i modify to my language.

Has i got it right?

[edit]I tried this and it didnt work, not even shows icon and link. :([/edit]
cisco007
BBCoder VI
BBCoder VI

Post by cisco007 »

this is what it should look like in the functions.php file if your link will be in phpbb-root /phpfreechat/index.php

then it should be like this:

Code: Select all

'U_CHAT' => append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}phpfreechat/index.$phpEx"),
in the header it would be:

<li class="icon-chat"><a href="{U_CHAT}" title="{L_CHAT_EXPLAIN}">{L_CHAT}</a></li>
Open: styles/prosilver/theme/bidi.css, find:

.rtl .icon-search

Inline-after, add:

, .rtl .icon-chat

Open: styles/prosilver/theme/buttons.css, find:

.icon-search

Inline-after, add:

, .icon-chat

Open: styles/prosilver/theme/colours.css, find:

.icon-search               { background-image: url("{T_THEME_PATH}/images/icon_search.gif"); }

After, add:

.icon-chat             { background-image: url("{T_THEME_PATH}/images/icon_chat.gif"); }
Open: language/en/common.php, find:

));

Before, add:

'CHAT'                  => 'Free Chat',
    'CHAT_EXPLAIN'            => 'View the chat page',

and just like the article says!
Uploading your new icon
Next, you need to upload your new icon to styles/prosilver/theme/images and ensure it's called 'icon_chat.gif'.
hkkla
BBCoder I
BBCoder I

Post by hkkla »

I got it working, it was another modd that had a line in the overall_header that made a mess but i put the line before instead of after.
Now i have link and icon there and it works.

BIG thanks for your effort cisco007!
jmsoni
BBCoder II
BBCoder II

Post by jmsoni »

hello guys I tried according above link (tutorial on another page) but I couldnt work for me. even I did all steps properly.. :( please help me frnz I dont know php.. but i want to make my forum pls help me to learn phpBB step by step..
Last edited by jmsoni on 12 Jul 2010, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
cisco007
BBCoder VI
BBCoder VI

Post by cisco007 »

well you have to at least tell us what you did, how you did it, what where the results, what you did you edit the files, and a link to where the problem is at!
jmsoni
BBCoder II
BBCoder II

Post by jmsoni »

cisco007 » 12 Jul 2010, 20:15 wrote:well you have to at least tell us what you did, how you did it, what where the results, what you did you edit the files, and a link to where the problem is at!
Frnz I did all steps to add new button on header but i cudnt get anything I did all steps as here http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/adding- ... ur-header/

:O but didnt get anything.. Please help me this is the first time I am working with this kinds of stuffs actually I'm 3d artist and compositor and also making live shooting films but now i want to make my forum pls help me how can i create button and add link for other page..

Also I have more questions which I'll ask later and step by step.. Pls I will really appreciate you frnz.
cisco007
BBCoder VI
BBCoder VI

Post by cisco007 »

did you go to the ACP - Styles and purge the cache on the theme, template, and imageset, and purge the cache!? and i wanted a link to your site or where ever you are doing this so i can take a look!
jmsoni
BBCoder II
BBCoder II

Post by jmsoni »

cisco007 » 12 Jul 2010, 20:33 wrote:did you go to the ACP - Styles and purge the cache on the theme, template, and imageset, and purge the cache!? and i wanted a link to your site or where ever you are doing this so i can take a look!
Nope..!!! I didn't purge that style.. is it needed? (funny question, sorry)..! one more funny question.. how can i purge style?
jmsoni
BBCoder II
BBCoder II

Post by jmsoni »

hey frnz, I have done all things again and also refresh and remove all cash from ACP. but still not getting any button... I have created icon gif file with 16X14 pix flat yellowish green color but cant see anything..

this is my url: http://pixelandgrain.net/forum/

pls help me